Sunday, January 22, 2012

What are you tossing in the garbage?


(keep in mind I live in Spokane County, Washington - 
you may be able to do more or less depending on where you live)

I have always recycled to some extent - now, everything I can. I didn't have the Green Bin for a long time, mainly because I didn't realize what all can be included.  I thought like many people - "that's for grass clippings and leaves."  Boy was I wrong.  Then I had to justify the cost - this was actually the easy part.  By using the Recycle Bin to it's full extent and the Green Bin along with composting I was able to reduce my Garbage Can size from a 2 can size to a 1 can size.
1 can size down + green bin = the same money.

Now, what was I missing that I can include in the Green Bin?

Take out pizza boxes 
Cardboard style egg cartons
Egg shells
Chinette plates (not coated ones like the Dixie brand)
Cheap-o paper plates
Paper towels
Food scraps (including bones and meat)

What was I missing that I can include in the Recycle Bin?

Tin cans (they need to be rinsed)
Glass bottles and jars (they need to be rinsed) any color
All type 1 and 2 plastics (mouth of container must be smaller than the base)

Adding these items reduced our "garbage" by half.  Yes, it's more work, I have to rinse the cans and glass items as well as any plastics that might have food stuck in them.  The worst thing I have come across would be peanut butter jars.

I learned about all of this when I took the class "Master Composter/Recycler" through Spokane Regional Solid Waste System.  I am now certified and have promised to pass on my knowledge.  So, please, if you have any questions, go ahead and ask.  I can help you reduce your waste and use the facilities available to reduce you garbage and expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment